Protect Your Business From Phishing Attacks and More
Phishing attacks remain to be just as popular in 2017 as in previous years. Diligence and training for all staff members of how to handle suspicious emails should be an important part of how we do business in the era of electronic communication. Threats can come from anywhere even from what appears to be our very own company. The most recent threat attempt is to target unsuspecting billing departments and support staff, with a seemingly normal email from someone who appears to be a member of the company’s accounting team. The email arrives from “named *protected email*,” how would you confirm whether this email is a legitimate communication? Would you even question it since it comes from your domain? Here are some great cyber security tips provided by the National Cyber Security Alliance. Below are the contents of the email:
Invoice # 87006461 – hyperlinks to a malware self-executing file
Phishing Attacks Aren’t The Only Way In
Cyber criminals are getting more and more sophisticated with their hacking attempts. They are making their emails look like your employees have made billing errors. Do not click and do not reply and instruct everyone in your office to do the same.
Visit us for more on keeping your company safe.
5 quick steps to keep your company safe and running smoothly
1. Install the latest malware and anti-virus software and set up regularly scheduled updates and scans for all network attached devices. Unsecured wireless printers are easy access points to any network.
2. Backup your data often and check that your backup software is working as it should. It’s always a great data protection asset to keep an additional copy of your backup data in a secure offsite location.
3. Complete your PCI scan every quarter or more often if needed to maintain compliance. The average cost of a PCI-related breach per record is $202, imagine how many customers you deal with daily x $202 that could be affected.
4. More mainstream insurance companies are offering an Additional breach protection rider to their policies. Ask your agent or call us for more details.
5. Consider a new router with a 3G, 4G, LTE card failsafe to keep your business constantly connected.
Call us today 866.207.3298 for more info
Get Protected In The New Year
Let’s make this a year we all step up our security online, in the office and at home. Also, check out our Tattletale home and office security systems. While you’re there, you can sign up for a FREE eGuarded background check account to pre-screen applicants, and protect your business from possibly making a bad hiring decision.